January 28th

Monday. This morning rather better. Had a fair night's rest, for which my dear wife and I audibly prayed and confessed; and likewise united this morning in thanksgiving for having had more rest than we looked for. Last night I told the children I had given up smoking unless it be made clear to me that I should use it. "For whatsoever is not of faith is sin." (Rom. xiv. 23.) Sweet prayer time often used for smoking. Lord, grant steadfastness. I also resumed the good old practise of catechising. I think I found good of the questions at my first convictions and conversion, especially for the first, the ten commandments, and for the latter; Christ's priestly office. Everyone of us should have the Shorter Catechism. The doctrines of salvation are plainly taught in it.

No comments: