January 22nd 1884

Changed my bedroom downstairs. Rest very disturbed. I found a letter from John Sutherland, Badbea. The following is an extract from it. It is dated, 1st November 1854.
"I have had too much attachment to some idols in the Beloved's room, and whatever He is to do with me at last, I know by experience I am deprived of these idols. But there are idols I am still keeping, right hand and right eye. Once I had my prayers, and sweet meditations, and my affection for the Lord's people, and how I was esteemed, and had such credit from them. But what will that avail me in my sad trials, and in a very short time to venture to enter the dark valley over Jordan with my profession without fruit! If you were an aged experienced Christian, I could enlarge on this subject, but I must drop it."
Oh, if I could get my soul as a prey!

No comments: