December 12th 1846

I had a letter from Hugh Stewart, Auchingills, faithful soldier. He served in the Queen's ranks, and by his loyalty to the King of Nations, he is bound to "fear God and honour the King," and right happily he does it. How perfectly suited to the good of nations is the code of laws given in the Bible, and where could there be found a nobler, purer morality than that delivered by the Apostle Paul to the Romans, in the 12th and 13th chapters of his epistle?
Hugh says, "I have no news to send you at present. You may be sure a man staying on a dry hard hill will not have much sap himself. It will take a sheep with very sharp teeth to pick so much as will reach her stomach. But you that stay on the side of Carmel will be fat and full of sap. There is a report among us that Dr. Macdonald, Ferintosh, is very low and not expected to recover his health in this world. But he may say with Paul that he has fought a good fight.
My dear William, have you summer or have you winter, or have you temptation? My advice to you is to 'watch and pray lest you enter into temptation.' If it is summer with you, beware of going to sleep. If it is winter, watch lest you say as much as, God is a liar, not acknowledging that it is of the Lord's mercies we are not consumed. If you have temptation, watch lest you enter, and pray how to escape the entering. The meaning of entering is yielding or consenting, for without yielding to temptation it is not your sin. 'Some say, I am of Paul, and I of Apollos, and I of Cephas, and I of Christ.' There seem to be four persons speaking here, and the four may be wrong, whatever their standing may be. But Paul comprehends all in this, Christ crucified in me, Christ formed in my soul the hope of glory. Many may be planted in Christ by profession, and not of one spirit with him. Do not think that I am firing blank shot now."
"Love to all friends. There are twelve families in Wick and Pulteney that I call the roll for every day. Remember me to all that love the Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity and truth."

No comments: